30.6.13

Finally Finished Silver Linings Playbook

I have been reading a lot of quick-read books lately, especially after finishing the Penguin Classics edition of Count of Monte Cristo. It took me forever to finish the book but it was definitely worth it. I'm reading faster-paced books this time because according to my 2013 goodreads reading challenge, I am three books behind schedule! And I blame it on Alexandre Dumas. But I loved the book, nonetheless.

So to help me recover from my delayed reading challenge, I picked up The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick. As part of my OC disease, I really don't like buying movie tie-in editions but I cannot find the original cover of the book so I grabbed the copy I saw at fully booked. I never EVER like spending 600 pesos (or more) for a thin, small paperback but hey, it was cheaper than national bookstore's price so whatever.



Silver Linings Playbook (sigh). You know this feeling when you read a book that may not be the best book you've read but gave you the feels? And you end up staring across your room and letting everything sink in and get satisfaction to the point where you don't picture what happens next anymore.


As an average reader, I don't demand much from my book like how others would probably like their books to be (literature majors, perhaps?) and some people would always have something horrid to say about a book. As for me, I'm the plot and character type of person. If a book does not have great character-building, along with plots that are not unique and well-thought of, I easily get put off. And thats' it. With this book in particular, I can say that I have never been more satisfied.

Now on to the book talk.

The book started with the main character, Pat Peoples, getting picked up by his mom from some mental health facility. I believe he was admitted because he has problems controlling his emotions. When he gets home after years of being admitted in "the bad place" as Pat People's would call it, his very determination was to be in good shape and overall improve his personality, which would prepare him in his reunion with his estranged wife Nikki because he feels that he needs to be the person his wife wants him to be. I don't know if this part is good or bad, but I hated Nikki from the very beginning and I kind of developed my attachment to Pat Peoples' character. And from this point on, you have to read the book.

I really adored Pat's brother Jake and his best friend Ronnie. Sometimes you wish that all people would treat those few who are recovering from being admitted to a mental institution, and not be so mainstream and act indifferently. Along the course of the book you also get to meet Tiffany, Pat's neighbor who suffered depression after her husband died. Pat and Tiffany get to cross paths and the idea of two people who are trying to cope with their own share of sufferings thru the help of each other (yet they don't even know it) was something very interesting. It's a book where you get to see everything from the perspective of these people like Pat and Tiffany. And I loved it.

There's only rare instances when I actually find a book really quick, straight-forward but immensely good. This one had got to be it. And for those of you who compared this with Perks of Being a Wallflower, please don't. It's a totally different perspective. Thank you very much.

6 comments:

Aiza said...

I came across the book months ago (because of the handwritten notes on the cover), but I put it back because of the price. Haha. I never get to read it, but I watched the movie, but I still wouldn't compare reading and watching. I always wanted to read the book first before watching the movie and I failed with this one.

I liked the story. And yes, it's different from The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

PM said...

I wasn't satisifed with the movie at all. Exaggerated plot. The book was totally different and very heart-warming :)

hernameistrina said...

I wanna see the film!
♥ HerNameIsTrina ♥

Unknown said...

I saw the film and loved it! Bradley Cooper is so hot ;) We have just started following your blog and love it! Maybe you would like to check us out as well at www.ourlondonwardrobe.com and follow back if you like? xxx

Erica Poyauan said...

in most cases the book is far better than the movie :) congratulations you finished it :)

Check out my September Blog Giveaway :)

The Girl with the Muji Hat BLOG GIVEAWAY

PM said...

@Trina it's better to read first the book in my opinion

@ourlondonwardrobe bradley cooper was indeed very fit for the role of Pat

@erica WORD.